Stuff from Stephers

I used to share a blog with Melissa, but she's been MIA for a few months, so I made it all mine! Random thoughts on my every day life to bore you with.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Hours...

Last night I did a counseling session and completed the last line in my log. I tallied up the hours so that I could leave it for my supervisor to sign. After adding my first and second practicum sites together I had the pleasing feeling of knowing that all of my hours were done. I have spent 51 hours with couples and families, 130 hours counseling individuals and 399.75 hours doing administrative work and trainings. I have spent 580.75 hours learning how to do this "job" is what that means. It sounds like a lot (to me, because they were hard hours to get - hours I spent up there during holidays, when sick, missing favorite tv shows, and instead of spending time with friends and family), but in a full-time capacity that would only be about three and a half months. Although, if you think about the fact that I've had two internships, a full course load and a part-time job, it all seems so much more spectacular to me. I have spent 130 hours listening to people. Who else has a clock of the time they have spent listening to and helping people for the last year of their life? I have to admit that it is pretty cool to know that. 130 times I have sat with someone in a room and we have struggled, failed, and seceded together. I have spent 51 hours helping siblings and couples to see each other more clearly. 23.5 of those hours were spent with the grieving. One part time work-week sounds so insignificant, but I know it wasn't for them, or for me. I'm going to miss my clients and my internship, and that is how I am certain that my caring is genuine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Something's Gotta Give said...

I am so proud of you. You've come so far, and worked so hard. Your clients are incredibly lucky people.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you. Sometimes I'm sure that I bore y'all to death with my constant babble about internships, clients, and graduation, but it will all be over soon! :o)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Tyly said...

I teach at Hay Branch!

It's off of Rancier, past the Juvenile Center.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Of course - I remember that school. I went to Bellaire and my mom actually works at Venable Village still in the office. Small world! How'd you end up in Ktown?

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home