Stuff from Stephers

I used to share a blog with Melissa, but she's been MIA for a few months, so I made it all mine! Random thoughts on my every day life to bore you with.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Just a little first date discussion...

I went on a date last night. The guy was really cute and we had a lot of fun, and he's actually a lot like me. But, there's one conversation that still has me confused - it went something like this:

R: So...what prescriptions do you take (side note-I'm not sure how we got to this topic, it flowed here and didn't seem weird at the time)
S: Umm...Wellbutrin for anxiety

R: yeah? anything else?
S: Umm....birth control
R: Why do you take that?

S: uhhh....(I wanted to say "to not get pregnant" but I didn't want to sound like a skanky whore on the first date so instead I said) to keep my period regular

R: Oh, doesn't taking birth control pills make you get cervical cancer? Do you take folic acid? You need to take folic acid for that.

S: Umm...I think birth control can make you more likely to get breast cancer, and blood clots. Cervical cancer is usually caused by HPV isn't it?

R: HPV?

S: Yeah, the Human Papilloma Virus?

R: I know what it is. It's genital warts right?

S: I think that's only certain strains of it.

R: I think they say that about 70% of women have it. YOU probably have it.

S: ha ha...thanks (for basically calling me a skanky whore!!)

R: Well you should take folic acide because once you get a negative pap smear...

S: You mean abnormal?
R: Right, once you have that you get abnormal cells and you'll have them for forever.

S: Uhhh...no. They can get rid of the abnormal cells...that's why you go to the gynecologist every year.

R: Well, just take the folic acid.
S: ok...I'll get some folic acid...

R: good!

S: Do you have the gynecological health discussion on every first date?

R: Umm...I've had some weird conversations, but never this one. Actually, just forget the last 20 minutes and remember the first hour and a half.


So this gets me thinking...imagine dating a gynecologist. Would you have to worry about this stuff all the time? How weird would that be? I like this guy, don't get me wrong, but it was too funny and odd to not share.

4 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

haha. best first date conversation ever.

my mom's 2nd husband was a OBGYN. he also delivered me. how strange is that?

2:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

yeah...totally random. does ANYONE know about this folic acid thing?

Is that how your mom met her 2nd husband?

8:22 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Well, as the daughter of a gynecologist, I find some medical conversations less weird than most people might. But that was strange. Not to mention wrong - you definitely know more than he does, as it should be. Some things I do know: 1) there's no way in hell 70% of women have HPV, but it's way more serious than that description - leads to all sorts of nasty cancers if not treated; 2) folic acid is for pregnant women (like Misty said); 3) if you have an abnormal pap it won't be abnormal forever and ever, but I'm pretty sure folic acid has nothing to do with that!

That's all from me and my pseudo-expertise...most of our family conversations did NOT include this topic - random surgery stories were a bigger hit.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ah yes, well apparently he got this all from his ex (WIFE!) so who knows...I think he's sort of off the island. Apparently he thought that I was the strange one because I take Wellbutrin, and I told him instead of lying about it when he asked me. Guys are so so odd.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home