Stuff from Stephers

I used to share a blog with Melissa, but she's been MIA for a few months, so I made it all mine! Random thoughts on my every day life to bore you with.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Audition - she always gets a part

I just watched The Audition, which according to one poll I saw was supposed to be the scariest movie of all time. (I think) it’s a Japanese movie, and it’s in subtitles. First of all, nothing is ever as scary in subtitles as it is in your language. The Grudge is much scarier in English than it was in Japanese. And, since they versioned it for American audiences it made more sense since we aren’t all up to date on traditions of other cultures. Who knows, maybe in other countries not everyone says, “I’ll be right back” or runs up the stairs to get away like they do in our movies. Luckily for us they que us in on when someone is about to die. Needless to say, The Audition was not versioned for me. A lot of it was dull and didn’t quite make sense. It was gruesome, but no more disturbing than Dawn of the Dead (the new version with the fast zombies) or Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I can’t say that I jumped once. I mean, sure cutting someone’s foot off with a wire, or poking them in the eye with a needle, or making them eat your vomit is disgusting, but is it grosser than your zombie neighbor kid eating your husband or being trapped in the back of a bus with zombies eating your brains? I think not. It definitely creeped me out and made me a little nervous about going to bed alone in the dark, but not worse than The Ring did. At least with this movie I don't keep looking at my tv to make sure nothing is crawiling out. The bad thing about this movie is that it doesn’t really make sense so I keep thinking about it to see if I can figure it out. That’s the really bad part. It was a decent movie, and pretty scary, but not my type of scary I guess. It scares me more to NOT be able to see who's doing the killing or mutilating. Yeah, gross that she sing-songy says "deeper deeper" while sticking needles into the dude, but we knew all along she was going to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home